Alpharetta Tree Ordinance – Within The City Limits
Perm Required: Yes
- A tree permit is required for the removal of all trees that are alive.
- A tree removal permit is not required for dead trees or trees that have already fallen. It is recommended to take photos of these trees for your records.
- Replacement trees may be required
- Pine Trees: 30-inch diameter or larger for trees in the Pinus (Pine) genus.
- Coniferous Trees: 20” diameter or larger for trees in the cedrus (deodar cedar), Thuja (Arborvitae), or other ecologically similar trees,
- Overstory Trees: 30-inch diameter or larger for trees in the Liquidambar (Sweetgum) or Liriodendron (Tulip poplar) genus
- 20-inch diameter or larger for trees in the Fagus (Beech), Nyssa (Tupelo), Diospyros (Persimmon), Sassafras (Sassafras), or other ecologically similar trees,
- 20-inch diameter or larger for Magnolia grandiflora (Southern magnolia) and those cultivars that generally reach a mature height over 40’
- 24-inch (24′′) diameter or larger for trees in all other genera
- Understory Trees: 8-inch (8′′) diameter or larger.